Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Vitamin D 2010 RDA: IOM Lays An Egg

News flash!  The Institute of Medicine (IOM) just released their long awaited (13 years in the making) pronouncement regarding the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of vitamin D and calcium.  Many of us were waiting to see the RDA increased from 400IU daily to 1,000IU daily or even 2,000IU daily.  Maybe the IOM would even increase the upper limit of 10,000IU daily.

Instead, the IOM laid an egg.  That's my opinion (plus that of the Vitamin D Council).  Now, I make no claim as to being a vitamin D expert, although in my prior position as Senior Institute Physician and Executive Director of Physician Education at Cenegenics Medical Institute, I wrote 8 reviews regarding the benefit of vitamin D over the past 3 years.  However, I remember fondly the paraphrase attributed to Newton (who probably pilfered it from Salisbury) about standing on the shoulders of giants.  That's why, rather than re-invent the wheel, I direct you instead to the Vitamin D Council's response.  It's a great summary & rebuttal.

No comments:

Post a Comment