Friday, November 19, 2010

Telemedicine, Schmelemedicine


As you know, I'm setting up a small private practice in Las Vegas.  However, I'm breaking trends with tradition by offering to "see" patients outside of my local area.  This will entail the use of phones & email once a formal doctor-patient relationship has been properly established.  But the question of the day is what constitutes a "proper" relationship?  In the good old days, you went to your doctor's office and waited several hours before being seen physically.  With modern technology, you could potentially see your doctor via videoconference, although most states frown against this unless the physician is also licensed in the state in which the patient resides.  Certainly, state & federal regulations currently require at least an initial, if not regular, physical visit.  Because this issue affects me (and you) directly, I am sensitive to any light shed upon the matter, whether on a local or national level, since I don't want to lose my license.  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment