Friday, November 19, 2010

Setting Up My Practice


I just finished attending 4 days of continuing medical education in Anaheim and am anxious to get home to my family.  However, Sprint Navigation  (on my phone no less) is showing the usual crush of traffic throughout the LA Basin (isn't technology amazing?) so I've decided to wait it out and contemplate life instead.

More specifically, my thoughts run to how much easier it is to practice medicine than it is to set up a private practice.  As I mentioned earlier today, my practice is going to be non-traditional.  Therefore, I won't need the typical brick and mortar office since most of my interactions will be via phone & email which can be accomplished from any place w/telecommunications service.  But, I will need a room for those times when patients come in for their initial or annual physical examinations.  What to do?  After all, I'd like to keep my overhead as low as possible so that I can pass the savings along to my patients.  The solution is to office share or sublease!  The problem is that all my colleagues who have agreed in principle have different days that their offices are less busy and can accommodate me.  So I would need to see someone in Office A on Mondays & Wednesdays, Office B on Tuesdays and Fridays, and Office C on Thursdays, or something like that.  Therefore, I'm going to see if I can find a more sane solution. 

But I've also been informed that I can't apply for a business license until I come up with a physical address which I also need for incorporating with the state.  And let's not forget setting up with the board of taxation & revenue.  So I'm spinning my wheels for the time being.  Obtaining malpractice insurance was a breeze in comparison. 

And this blog & my website?  It's been accomplished over the last 6 days with the assistance & support of several close friends.  I'll detail the process in a separate post so that you can avoid the headaches & stress ulcers from which I suffered.

No comments:

Post a Comment