Thursday, December 9, 2010

Surgeon General: One Cigarette Can Kill You!

The Surgeon General has spoken:  even just one cigarette can kill you!  Secondhand smoke can cause immediate DNA damage (leading to cancer later on), trigger an acute cardiovascular or cerebrovascular event (heart attack or stroke), and generally make it difficult for your body to fight off illness.  I used to tell my patients that a pack or two a day habit was bad but that I couldn't in good conscience tell someone that they couldn't smoke just one teeny tiny cigarette socially when out with their friends once a month, much less once a year.  Well, I guess I can now!  You can read the Executive Summary here or peruse the full report here.  And let's not forget that tobacco use was linked to Alzheimer's disease just two months ago.  So don't light up, not even just one!

1 comment:

  1. I used to tell my patients that a pack or two a day habit was bad but that I couldn't in good conscience tell someone that they couldn't smoke just one teeny tiny cigarette socially when out with their friends once a month, much less once a year.

    ReplyDelete