Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Androderm Strength - It's Lower! Part 2

I was going through my mail earlier today when I stumbled upon a letter from Watson Pharmaceuticals, the manufacturer of Androderm.  If you'll remember my post from this past fall, Androderm was being manufactured & promoted in a smaller dose/strength, 2mg & 4mg patches vs 2.5mg & 5mg.  

I wasn't sure of their plans but wondered how they would market both 2mg & 2.5mg as well as 4mg & 5mg patches.  Well, wonder no more.  It's official.  Watson has "discontinued the manufacture and sale of Androderm 2.5mg and 5mg" and is now solely focused on promoting its smaller sized 2mg and 4mg patches.  Of course, this is the company that claims that 97% of hypogonadal users (34 out of 35) had total testosterone levels between 300ng/dL and 1,030ng/dL after using Androderm for a month.

That's like me claiming that 34 out of 35 failing students passed with a grade between D- and A after I tutored them.  But shouldn't my goal be to tutor all of them to complete understanding of the subject material?  So rather than focus on a grade or testosterone level, I like to focus on my patients' clinical well-being.  Can they tell a difference now compared to prior to supplementing their testosterone?  That's the goal (well that and no side effects from excessive levels, too).  Just a thought the next time your doc tells you that your labs are normal.  And how normal is normal?  

By the way, remember than 1 out of 35?  He failed (despite my best attempts).  Nice, huh?



Health
Top Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment