Monday, October 21, 2013

Live Your Life: Don't Numb It

I'm writing this post from the San Francisco Bay Area (specifically the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) which I just found out is not open 24/7 but rather closed until 4AM) where I've been the last few days, celebrating the life of one of my best friend's wife who passed away earlier this month.  It's a sad commentary that it took this event to bring together so many friends & family, many who I have not seen for several decades.

Coincidentally, I read an article published yesterday in USA Today regarding the addictiveness of the pain medications that I prescribe.  This issue along with the concomitant increase in overdose deaths has become a major issue in politics & healthcare.  In fact, the Centers for Disease Prevention & Control published data earlier this summer on this issue.

Don't get me wrong.  I don't want my patients to hurt needlessly.  But we need to balance our desire for pain control against the risk for addiction & death.  Too often, we look to pills to numb us from our lives.  Instead, we should strive to live life, not numb it.  Something that death reminded me this weekend.



This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information:
verify here.

Search only trustworthy HONcode health websites:

No comments:

Post a Comment