- About Me
- About You . . .
- About This Blog
- About My Practice (UPDATED 7/12!)
- Ask Me, I'm A Doctor! (UPDATED 11/12!)
- How's My Driving?
- Stuff My Attorney Made Me Say
- Stuff I've Written or Presented
- Watch Out!
- Hear Me Roar!
- Low Cost Medical/Dental/Pharmacy Options
- You Like Me! You Like Me!
- So You Want to Contact Me!
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Selenium for a Healthy Thyroid
Those of us in the traditional realm have typically patched & whitewashed this w/levothyroxine but haven't looked further as to the cause. Just published this month is a nice review article in a mainstream journal (JCEM) documenting the importance of selenium for thyroid health.
Besides multivitamins & supplements, where should we look for natural sources of selenium? Shellfish, crabs, kidney, liver, and Brazil nuts are all rich sources. I don't know about you, but I'll pass on the organs and focus on the Brazil nuts & seafood. That multivitamin isn't looking so bad now compared to kidneys & liver!