Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Vitamin D: Institute of Medicine vs Endocrine Society

I typically see patients (or supervise residents) during the day and then read & write at night.  So hopefully, you'll understand that, as I'm recovering from an unexpected procedure (the residents always love it when I offer myself up for their edification & practice), I've fallen a bit behind in my reading as we're 2 days into April (as I write this) and I haven't even figuratively cracked open the March issue of Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism.

In my attempts to catch up, I stumbled upon the Institute of Medicine's commentary on the Endocrine Society Task Force's own July 2011 guidelines on vitamin D deficiency which in turn was it's response to the IOM's November 2010 dietary reference intake.  It's important that you look it over for yourself to consider why the IOM feels so strongly about the same evidence yet comes to different conclusions than the Endocrine Society.  Reminds me of that game, Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots, we used to play as a kid.  Who's right?  For now, it would appear to me to be a matter of answering whether the glass is half full or half empty.  Take a look and come to your own conclusion even as political name calling gets started.  



Health
Top Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment