Friday, December 2, 2011

DHEA & Postmenopausal Women

Since I've admitted to falling behind in my reading, I might as well finish this week looking over yet another study published in the June issue of JCEM.  Specifically, I wanted to point out this review of the literature regarding the use of DHEA in postmenopausal women.  The authors reviewed over 100 studies published through November 2010 before concluding that fixed dose supplemental DHEA had no effect in postmenopausal women with regards to sexual function, sense of well-being, menopausal symptoms, metabolic effects, and cognitive performance.  This article has a nice review of the physiology of DHEA and DHEA-S.  It also goes into lengths to point out the observational studies demonstrating benefit compared to the randomized controlled trials that did not.  

Bear in mind, however, that premenopausal women were specifically excluded from this analysis.  Also, DHEA dose regimens were fixed as opposed to adjusting doses to achieve a specific DHEA-S level at which point the patient would declare benefit.  So if you're a postmenopausal female, DHEA may not be of much benefit to you. However, if you're male or a premenopausal female, who knows?  We're still waiting for those results.  But as with hGH, it would behoove us to familiarize ourselves with this ubiquitous supplement that is often marketed as the mother of all hormones.



Health
Top Blogs

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dr. Lin! I'm sure the study has validity, but anecdotally my post-menopausal experience with DHEA supplementation has been positive. When I reached menopause at 49, it was the first supplementation I did to combat the low energy, brain fog, and slow recovery from exercise. As a personal trainer, I needed to keep my physical vitality both for myself and my clients. I was able to achieve some very real benefit from an oral dose of 10-15 mg. Since I did not do comprehensive hormonal testing (other than FSH) until several months later, I cannot say how it might have affected levels of estrogens and testosterone. I am reasonably sure that I benefited from some conversion to these hormones. My own training program was specific enough to note measurable differences in performance and recovery. My sense of well-being and positive energy, although not measurable, was also increased. I am curious to know what dose was being given (can't read the article).

    ReplyDelete