Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cell Phone Use vs Brain Fxn: Conspiracy Theorists Unite!

My brother asked me a while back what I thought about putting up some cell phone & radio towers/antennas on top of our parents' building complex.  After all, it would help shore up the home owners association's coffers.  His main concern, however, was the possible theoretical effect of cell phone radiofrequency signals on our health.  Now, I was never a huge X-Files fan, unlike my wife.  However, most observational & epidemiologic studies have not demonstrated any effect, positive or negative, from the use of cell phones, despite persistent anecdotal rumors to the contrary.

Ironically, as just noted on CNN and in USA Today, a randomized crossover study just released today in JAMA noted that 50 minutes of cell phone use next to the ear was enough to increase glucose metabolism in the two parts of the brain closest to the antenna.  Moreover, the larger the radiofrequency electromagnetic field, the greater the increase in glucose metabolism.  However, overall brain metabolism was not affected.

But what does this mean to you & me, a colleague, Dr. D, asked?  Just like the authors concluded, the findings are of "unknown clinical significance".  In other words, we don't know.  Cell phones have only been around for a little over 2 decades and over this period of time, designs have changed dramatically (not to mention power output).  I still remember when I was in medical school and my best friend had just purchased one of those old brick-style phones.  We were too cool driving around calling everyone we knew, unaware that that phone was putting out several times as much signal power as my current Samsung Epic 4G. 

The editorialists suggest that more studies are needed.  I agree.  But in the meantime, I'm going to more conscious about using my Bluetooth earpiece even while I'm at home.  And maybe it would be safer(?) to leave those antenna buffer cases off your iPhone4.  After all, a lower/lost signal is less likely to affect your brain!

1 comment:

  1. Actually, the lower the bars of service you have on your cell phone, the higher the amount of radiation is emitted, because the cell phone has to create a much stronger signal to stay connected. This is what my research has told me, at least.

    ReplyDelete